The most common means of supplying power to your premises is via an overhead service line, initiating at a network pole (pole outside on the street) and terminating at a set point on your building (known as the point of attachment). This is generally the most cost-effective method available if suited to your premises. A private pole, either timber or hardwood, may also be installed on your property and used as a connection point. This pole enables you to achieve the required heights/clearances to remain compliant with the Service and Installation Rules of NSW. Your consumer mains (cables which run between this point and your main switchboard) can then be either installed as an overhead service to your building via the same method, or you may decide to have them installed underground to your meter box.


Another option is to have a service line installed as an underground service from the network. An underground or pillar connection involves excavating from your meter box or private pillar all the way outside your property to the closest point of underground infrastructure being a network pillar or turret, usually located near the footpath outside on council property. From this point, a service cable needs to be installed adhering to a set of strict guidelines within a suitable enclosure in the trench. Sometimes this may be the only method to have an electricity service cable enter your premises. New suburbs almost always have their network underground.


A combination of the above two methods is called a UGOH (Under Ground to Over Head).This is an option undertaken by clients who desire an underground service where only an overhead electricity network is available at their location. This method is also available for circumstances where your building may not have a suitable connection point or there is no compliant location for a private pole. A UGOH is used to overcome height and clearance requirements as well as satisfying neighbouring boundary encroachments as outlined in the NSW service rules. The elimination of the overhead cables attaching directly to your building has a drastic aesthetic effect on the appearance of your property hindering the architectural finish.


Give us a call and have one of our trained professionals visit your site and consolidate a report specifically for your circumstances. All our reports are documented with site plans and costing – just another service we provide for our clients to make the decision clear and easy to understand.


The position you are in will generally fall within one of the following circumstances.

1. You currently have power on site on a temporary main switchboard and you need to transfer from this temporary builders’ service to a permanent supply connection and metering.

2. You have no power on the site and would like a new connection for your premises to the building or main switchboard and site metering.

3. Your electrician has installed cables, called consumer mains up to your roof space or to your private pole or pillar and you would like a network connection and metering.